My favorite comfort food in the world before starting my primal/paleo lifestyle was mac n’ cheese (n’ ranch beans n’ tuna n’ hotsauce – can you tell I’m in college?). This soup beats my mac n’ cheese cravings to the ground, and it takes only slightly more work to make than Easy Mac!
The other day, Jonathan and I were walking around Costco looking for cheese – they have the CHEAPEST huge blocks of fancy cheese! – and he stumbled upon pure spice-o-phile gold. Like a child at Christmas with eyes all aglow, he victoriously presented a ridiculously massive block of ghost pepper cheddar cheese to me. I wavered a bit as to whether or not we should buy it, mainly because although I love spicy foods, habanero is about as hot as I can handle before my ears turn red, and the ghost pepper is literally the hottest pepper in the world (according to Guinness Book of World Records). After some negotiating, he won, and as he put the cheese of doom into the cart I started to wonder what on Earth I could cook with weapons-grade dairy. Well, I present to you my soup!
When it comes to dairy, I highly recommend anything Kerrygold. Their cheese and butter is unbelievable. Unfortunately, their products aren’t cheap, but if you are fortunate enough to have a Costco membership, they sell enormous blocks of Kerrygold Cheddar and Dubliner and tubs of their butter for very cheap!
Note: As I’m sure you’ve noticed from the title, this soup contains dairy and thus is not in line with “paleo” diet, but rather the “primal” diet.
Primal Creamy Spicy Cauliflower Cheddar Soup
By June 8, 2012Published:
- Yield: Pot-full (6 Servings)
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 40 mins
- Ready In: 55 mins
Creamy cauliflower soup with (spicy or mild) sharp cheddar.
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 onion diced
- 1 head cauliflower chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1.5 cups sharp cheddar your favorite kind
- sea salt to taste
- cracked pepper to taste
- cayenne to taste, optional
- Chop onion and cauliflower. As for the chopping, it's all going into a blender, so you don't have to be too perfect with your chopping. I like to use sweet onions, particularly Vidalia onions.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a soup pot. Throw in the onion and saute, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent (about 8 minutes).
- Add cauliflower and mix it all in, getting the lovely oniony-butter all over the cauliflower. Saute, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is just starting to brown (about 12 minutes).
- Add the chicken broth, crank the heat up and bring your proto-soup to a boil. Reduce heat to low (you know, somewhere on the dial between "low" and "medium") and simmer until cauliflower is tender (ie. easy to fork - about 20 minutes).
- Carefully pour some of your soup into a blender and puree until smooth. Keep in mind that the soup is boiling hot and mishandling could result in cauliflower lava ruining your night and your lovely apron.
- Pour the pureed soup back into the pot, turn the stove to medium heat, and stir in the cheese a bit at a time until melted. I used 1 cup of Kerrygold Reserve Cheddar and 1/4 cup Ghost Pepper Cheddar.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. If your cheese wasn't spicy enough, throw in a dash of cayenne. Enjoy!
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress