We’ve been craving pizza for weeks and decided to give it a go. We found some interesting primal/paleo pizza recipes around the internet, and decided to give it a go combining the best of what we found. This recipe uses cauliflower as the main ingredient in the crust and tasted so close to regular pizza, we were thrilled! Put whatever toppings you like on it – we used sausage, mushrooms and onion.
Primal Pizza with Cheesy Cauliflower Crust
By April 17, 2012Published:
- Yield: 1 medium pizza (3-6 Servings)
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 45-50 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 5 mins
Medium sized pizza with a cheesy cauliflower crust and whatever toppings you like!
- 1 head cauliflower chopped
- 8 oz mozzerella cheese shredded
- parmesan cheese shredded, to taste
- romano cheese shredded, to taste
- 2 tbsp coconut or almond flour
- 1-2 tsp garlic powder
- 1-2 tsp oregano dried
- 1-2 tsp basil dried
- toppings of your choice
- 5-6 tbsp sauce marinara, pesto, anything you want
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 450F. Get some water boiling and chop up the cauliflower. Put the cauliflower in a steamer basket over the boiling water and cover, letting it steam until very tender (about 10 minutes).
- While the cauliflower is steaming, shred all the cheeses together. I like to have a blend of mozzarella, parmesan and romano, but any combo will do.
- Now it's time to get rid of as much water from the cauliflower as possible. Once the cauliflower is done, move it to a bowl and mash it.
- Lay out some dish towels with lots of paper towels on top. Put the cauliflower on top and wrap the towels around it, pressing down and squeezing the water out. CAREFUL, it'll be HOT.
- Repeat the towel squeezing step. Once sufficiently dry (we only squeezed twice), mix together cauliflower, coconut or almond flour, 1/2 of the cheese, the spices and the egg.
- Put parchment paper over a baking sheet and spread the cauliflower mixture onto the paper, making it into a thin crust. Pop into the oven for 35-40 minutes.
- When the crust has a nice golden brown edge, take the pizza out and put the sauce of your choice on it.
- Sprinkle the remainder of the cheese over the sauce, and then add toppings on top. We sauteed onions, mushrooms and sausage and then put that on our pizza.
- Set oven to broil and pop the pizza back in for 8 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Enjoy!
- Note: The very center of our crust wasn't strong enough to make the pizza slices hand held. But we think if we had let the crust bake a little longer before putting toppings on, it might have worked out.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress